Nature tour on IHME Festival 2018, photo: Veikko Somerpuro.
We have calculated the carbon footprint of IHME using the calculator created by Hiilifiksu järjestö (carbon-smart organization) project. The calculator is divided into: energy, transport, purchases, waste and services. It uses the latest data on the climate impacts of flying and food. You can read more about the calculations in Ecoblog posts in the section Read and listen.
The carbon footprint is often divided into three different categories (scopes 1, 2 and 3), depending on how much the organisation itself can influence emissions. This classification is used in the widely used GHG Protocol method. Most emissions produced by IHME are indirect emissions. There are no direct energy emissions (Scope 1), because we work in rented premises and do not own a car. There are indirect energy emissions (Scope 2) that are generated by the district heating of the office. The electricity we use at the office is renewable wind power.
For indirect emissions (Scope 3), we have included the following sources of emissions: employee, artist and audience travel, artwork transportation, emissions from waste management, and the following purchased products and services: printed materials, mailing services, food and catering, cleaning, information technology and web services.
Read more about the carbon footprint of IHME:
In 2022, the total carbon footprint of IHME was 18,600 kg CO2e
Basic operations (office, administration and curating) – 8,900 kg CO2e, of which
Preparation for IHME 2023 commission – 5,700 kg CO2e, of which
In 2021, the flight emissions made up 68%, other travel and accommodation 18%, together 86% of the total emissions. The office energy consumption was 9% and other emissions 5% of the carbon footprint of IHME Helsinki.
In 2021, the total carbon footprint of IHME was 12000 kg CO2e
Basic operations (office and administration) – 3000 kg CO2e, of which